Monday, May 09, 2005

My Upanayanam

My upanayanam is now only two days away. It is scheduled on May 11, 2005 which is one of the most auspicious day of this year. On this day numerous marriages and other functions are going to happen throughout India. 11 May 2005 is the day of Akshaya Tritiya. Akshaya means something that will not diminish. It is an auspicious day to make a beginning. Hence on this day people buy gold because there is a belief that if one buys gold on this day then it will double in future years. Well this happens or not is still a mystery by itself, but the day has been utilised by news papers and jewellers throughout the country to mint money.
Well something about the upanayanam. It actually means taking near. The Samskara or ceremonial rite in which a young Brahmin boy is endowed with the sacred thread and initiated to the Gayathri mantra is referred to as Upanayanam. I was not knowing all this before neither it has been invented by me. I thought for a moment as to why I am undergoing this upanayanam and why I should wear the sacred thread. This provoked me to look information on the net info about the upanayanam. I am quite happy that my upanayanam or thread ceremony or Janaiv or Vodugu (as we call in telugu) is taking place on Akshaya Tritiya.
The Upanayanam makes the boy eligible for the study of the Vedas. The Vatu or the young Brahmachari becomes a Dvija or "Twice Born" after the Upanayanam. So I will be twice born after the upanayanam.
Will meet you all in my second janma soon.

No comments: